THE FIA HIGH LEVEL PANEL FOR ROAD SAFETY MEETS IN PARIS IN SUPPORT OF THE SECOND UNITED NATIONS DECADE OF ACTION
The High Level Panel for Road Security (HLP) of the Fédération Internationale de l’Vehicle (FIA) met in Paris on Thursday 1 July, at the FIA headquarters, in the presence of many prominent figures including:
- Jean Todt, FIA President and United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Road Security;
- Olga Algayerova, Govt Secretary, UNECE (by videoconference);
- Inger Andersen, United Nations Deputy Secretary-General and Govt Director of the United Nations Setting Programme (by videoconference);
- Dr Amani Abou-Zeid, Commissioner for Infrastructure and Energy, African Union Price (by videoconference);
- Bertrand Badré, Financing specialist;
- Irina Bokova, aged Director General of UNESCO;
- Felipe Calderón, Old President of Mexico and President of the FIA Setting and Sustainable Constructing Price;
- Jagan Chapagain, Secretary General of the Global Federation of Red Defective and Red Crescent Societies (by videoconference);
- Dan Chen, Vice-President and General Manager 3M Transportation Security Division, 3M (by videoconference);
- Anne Hidalgo, Mayor of Paris;
- Gloria Hutt Hesse, Minister of Transport and Telecommunications of Chile (by videoconference);
- Maurice Lévy, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Publicis Groupe;
- Dr. Amina Mohamed, Cabinet Secretary for Sports activities, Culture and Heritage, Kenya (by videoconference);
- Luis Alberto Moreno, Old President, Inter-American Constructing Monetary institution (by videoconference);
- Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, Old United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Lord George Robertson, Chairman, FIA Basis (by videoconference);
- Professor Gérard Saillant, President of the ICM, sports doctor and aged President of the FIA Scientific Price;
- Hartwig Schafer, World Monetary institution Vice President for South Asia;
- Carlos Slim Domit, President, Grupo Carso (by videoconference);
- Sir Martin Sorrell, President, S4 Capital;
- Dr Younger Tae Kim, Secretary General of the Global Transport Forum (ITF);
- Jorge Viegas, President of the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM);
- Thierry Willemarck, FIA Deputy President for Vehicle Mobility and Tourism.
The HLP is an FIA physique, made up of 85 main figures from the public and non-public sectors and committed to enhancing world road safety. Since its introduction at the initiative of Jean Todt in November 2015, the HLP has been working in snort to finance road safety measures, with the main emphasis on low- and center-earnings countries.
For instance, it supported the project to create a dedicated United Nations Road Security Fund, which changed into established in April 2018 at a United Nations General Assembly in Unique York, in the presence and under the impetus of Jean Todt.
As a reminder, the President of the French Republic, Emmanuel Macron, hosted a assembly of the FIA HLP at the Elysée Palace on 1 October 2018, one day of which he announced a contribution from France to this Fund.
Held one day of the open yr of the United Nations 2nd Decade of Action for Road Security, the assembly on 1 July centered on priority actions to be completed to carry a few real switch in mentality, which is an foremost condition for an enduring enchancment in the protection of road customers. Among the matters discussed, the problem of financing foremost investments and the corresponding mobilisation of the non-public sector, the protection of essentially the most susceptible customers, and red meat up to governments for the advance of the required capacities were the subject of in-depth discussions amongst the participants, with the aim of building tangible alternatives in the service of a total blueprint: saving lives.
As some distance as susceptible road customers are concerned, FIA Secretary General for Vehicle Mobility and Tourism ad intervening time Onika Miller introduced the FIA Faithful & Cheap Helmet Programme to the viewers. The initiative objectives to facilitate the deployment of motorbike helmets that meet UN safety standards, that are overjoyed in hot and humid climates, and accessible at a target promoting label of round 20 USD. Some HLP Members have faith already confirmed their red meat up, such as Cabinet Secretary for Sports activities, Culture and Heritage of Kenya Dr Amina Mohamed and Minister for Innovation and Technology of Hungary László Palkovics who attended the open tournament in Kenya on 24 June. The Panel recognised the functionality influence of extensive-scale deployment of such an initiative.
Jean Todt, FIA President, declared:
“Extra than ever, it’s time to switch from awareness to accountability if we in actuality desire the 2nd Decade of Action to total its targets. Starting now, motion on the bottom need to mobilise us all so that a real custom of safety on the roads is in the end imposed on all stakeholders. Each and day-after-day, thousands of lives are at stake on the roads. From now on, let us make certain that every day is a step forward, so that there might be no want for a Third Decade.”