FIA Karting – From the Archive : Counting down to Lonato – a flashback to FIA Karting Safety 101
Next weekend (19-22 September) sees one of the most highly anticipated karting events of the season, as the FIA Karting World Championship – KZ, the FIA Karting International Super Cup – KZ2, the third FIA Karting Academy Trophy Competition and the sixth edition of the FIA Karting Historical Super Cup return to Lonato in Italy.
To herald this extraordinary event, which boasts a combined 260 entries from 52 countries over 5 continents, FIA Karting revisits its Safety 101 episodes, recorded in Abu Dhabi last year, in which five of the top Formula 1 drivers shared the lessons of their own journey from karting to the very top.
– From Lewis Hamilton, the importance of the Volunteers and Officials and the need to respect their roles
– A shout out from Sebastian Vettel on the importance of Safety Equipment.
– He’s come a long way since recording this message, but Charles Leclerc, now winning races for Ferrari, spoke of the need to ‘Race True’ and be mindful of the Anti-Doping regulations.
– As Max Verstappen said, Well-being is key and: “The best help comes from yourself.”
– Daniel Ricciardo, now with Renault, had this advice for young karters: “Always represent the best version of yourself.” Fair play! That holds true whoever you’re driving for.
Important lessons for young karters, and judging by the success that all five F1 drivers have enjoyed since their karting years, this advice is well worth following.