The intermediate class rookie smashed over half a second off of Sam Lowes’ four-year-old record
Campetella Speed Up’s Fabio Di Giannantonio smashed a massive 0.568 of a second off Sam Lowes’ previous fastest ever lap from 2015 to top the opening Moto2™ session at the GoPro British Grand Prix. Unbelievably the top nine riders all dipped beneath the old outright lap record with the new Silverstone surface and the sun shining proving to be an extremely fast pairing.
The Italian rookie ended the session 0.083 ahead of his Campetella Speed Up teammate Jorge Navarro, with Dynavolt Intact GP’s Tom Lüthi just over a tenth further back in third. World Championship leader Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) ended fourth quickest, ahead of Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) in fifth.
The top five were covered by less than two-tenths of a second before we find Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP40) in sixth place, 0.373 of a second adrift of Di Giannantonio’s early benchmark. Compatriot Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) was one hundredth further back in seventh place. Completing the top ten were Mattia Pasini (Tasca Racing Scuderia Moto2), Augusto Fernandez (FlexBox HP40) and Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo).
Moto2™ FP1 at the British GP: Friday in full swing 23/08/2019
Matt Dunn and Neil Morrison bring you the first session of the intermediate class riders
With the top ten separated by just six-tenths of a second and the pace in the Moto2™ class already reaching new heights, FP2 later this afternoon at Silverstone could be an eye-watering one. Don’t miss it at 15:10 (GMT 1).
1. Fabio Di Giannantonio (Campetella Speed Up) – 2:05.777
2. Jorge Navarro (Campetella Speed Up) 0.083
3. Tom Lüthi (Dynavolt Intact GP) 0.136
4. Alex Marquez (EG 0,0 Marc VDS) 0.148
5. Remy Gardner (ONEXOX TKKR SAG Team) 0.196
6. Lorenzo Baldassarri (FlexBox HP 40) 0.373
7. Luca Marini (SKY Racing Team VR46) 0.383
8. Mattia Pasini (Tasca Racing Scuderia Moto2) 0.420
9. Augusto Fernandez (FlexBox HP 40) 0.428
10. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 0.603
Watch every 2019 race LIVE & OnDemand and enjoy the whole motogp.com video library, including technical features, exclusive interviews and classic races, with the MotoGP™ VideoPass